2018 year in review | kerlyn van gelder photography
Every year I’m stunned at how quickly time slips away and the familiar feeling of a clock resetting fills the atmosphere. So much happened in 2018, feelings of accomplishment, excitement for memories that were had, and old commitments made brand new. It was also filled with some lows, whether out there in the world or much closer to home inside our hearts. It taught me new things, things I hope to bring in to 2019 - it helped me grow and made me discover more about myself, like time often does. Kane had his full year of school and therapy, he had some regressions that had me feeling like a failure, but we ended the year on very big high after we looked back and saw all his growth. I think that’s the thing I like about the end of the year, where the day to day might have you feeling like you’re not quite enough…but if you truly look back and see how far you’ve come, so much was accomplished, pursued, and each moment had a meaning. I found that in our lives they often measured in photos, time away from my family, and journaling about my day to day life.
Some things I’ll have to cherish from this year:
- We celebrated ten years of marriage and renewed our vows
- Kane can now say a couple sentences to communicate his wants/needs
- We chopped Kane’s long baby locks
- This was my first year in business that I felt truly accomplished and content with where I was at
- I made business and financial goals, then surpassed them
- I taught at my first workshop
- I mentored 8 students and learned why I love teaching so much
- I went to Iceland, California, Oregon, Washington, and traveled all over Texas
- I shot 82 sessions and 19 weddings this year
- We watched Kane love on his cousin (my brother’s daughter) and connected with her in a way he hasn’t done with anyone else he’s met
I’m looking forward to 2019. I’m hoping for many changes, in my heart and in my spirit, my family, and in my business! I cannot wait for all the incredible people that I get to work with, the memories I get to capture, and the feelings I get to immortalize into photos. These are just a few of the many moments I captured over this past year, and they make me incredibly grateful for the people I’ve met along the way! Thank you for each and every one of the mothers, families, and couples that believe in what I do, preserving memories and sharing their hearts!